Thursday, July 26, 2012

Eliminating indigestion during pregnancy

I have had terrible indigestion with all three of my girls.

Now some old wives tales say it's a girl thing and others say it's because of a head full of hair.  Although I love my girls and I love bringing them home from the hospital with a bow in their hair, I DO NOT love indigestion. 

Although tums did work occasionally with the first two girls, I felt like I was constantly popping them into my mouth starting around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. 
With this third pregnancy my husband began a ketogenic diet. The object of the diet is to empty the liver of glycogen stores as quickly as possible so that fat burning occurs. This is done by severely restricting carbohydrates and eating only  sources of proteins and fats.  Now I love potatoes, rice, bread, pancakes, waffles, pasta, and any other carb possible.

At the same time, I wanted to support my husband and make sure he had what he needed to stay on track.  Monday through Friday I began making dinner without carbs or sugary treats.  We had all kinds of meats; steak, chicken, pork, fish and all kinds of vegetables; spinach, broccoli, salads. 

I only ate carbohydrates in the morning for breakfast and I NEVER had indigestion again.  COINCIDENCE?!?!  Now I know this is because I took out carbs and sugars because on the weekends according to his diet plan he could eat whatever he wanted, so I would too.  Every weekend I would have indigestion at night. 

So if you are going through the same annoying indigestion night after night as I have.  Might I suggest removing carbs from your evening meal and maybe even lunch!

What other remedies do you have to eliminate indigestion during pregnancy?

No comments:

Post a Comment